Weekend!!! Today, I learned that it’s a whole lot easier doing this on the weekend.
For me, it’s practically full-time job to plan, shop, follow recipes (sometimes even correctly!) and eat. In the past 6 days, I’ve:
- Completed 6 grocery trips where I walked the stores multiple times trying to locate things I’ve never purchased before
- Cooked kitchari twice
- Thrown out 32 oz of juiced stuff, 1 veggie dish that would have fed a family of 4 for a week, and about 3/4 of my first kitchari attempt
- Soaked rice, quinoa and beans
- Soaked my hands in the kitchen sink
- Hand-washed the juicer 8 times, the food processor 4 times and the blender 3 times
And that’s not counting Dave’s efforts and he’s done more cleaning up than I!
The other things I’m not so thrilled with is my complete focus on food.
Typically, I eat without much fanfare. But this takes so much effort that I actually end up thinking much more about food and being pre-occupied with it. And that’s making me hungrier, which is not a welcome change at this particular point in time.
I am happy to report that we had 2 big recipe victories today (since I could chop, cook and clean in lieu of my day job!). So here was today’s menu:
- A few cubes of watermelon before yoga
- Quinoa with cinnamon, apricots, pears and apples sweetened with a 3 drops of Stevia (the only thing missing was a cup of coffee!)
- Whole grain & olive oil wrap with home-made guacamole spread and home-made corn & bean salsa
- 3 figs
Now, the corn and bean salsa is a recipe that I’ve been making for years and it may not follow the strict letter of the detox law, but it has many of the ingredients that prescribed recipes have so I figured why not? It made for a satisfying and tasty meal.
Tomorrow should be quite interesting as Dave and I work to stay on track while hosting Mom & Dad for Mother’s Day dinner. I actually bought them fish, because Dave can’t stand fish! 🙂